Saturday, August 23, 2008

The blog it seems has a life of it's own.


I started this blog as a place for family and friends to visit and check out what we've been up to. My partner in crime/life was born in the UK. His family (including a niece we've only been able to gush over in pictures) and most of his friends live there. 

Some of my family live overseas as well. My Dad, his wife and two of my Sisters live in Hong Kong and my Sister Olly and her partner Carlos live in NY. There are a smattering of other friends scattered across the globe. (Hey Marty and Evie! How's France?)

The thing is I had forgotten how therapeutic it can be to write. After 'invasion-of-diary' trauma at sixteen (Hi Mum...) I moved out of home and stopped keeping one. I started keeping personal diaries again in 2002 but that writing has become very simplistic, just a few sentences per day.  

When I start a post I just tap out all the blah in a flurry of emotion. If it's readable, I keep it and post. If I sound like a raving loon it's time to censor before it travels out into the webby ether. 

Mostly, it's what is not posted, that which is deleted and scrapped that heals. So oddly, the blog that I began for the benefit of others has turned out helping me.

This blog is also shaped by those who comment on it and who come back and comment again. A little bit of kindness goes a long way and I've certainly needed cheering in the past few days. 

This blog isn't about our cafe but the cafe is what we do and is therefore a huge part of our lives. We've had great reviews and now we've had what I consider to be a crap one. I don't know... Perhaps it's the kick in the ass that we didn't know we needed. Something to strive us forward. 

To all you dudes who commented, thanks for putting a positive spin on it. I honestly never thought this blog would become a diary, a sounding board, a place to connect or free therapy. Hilarious!

Unfortunately whenever I am in a foul mood things start popping. Usually it's just light globes but on wednesday I zapped the washing machine to death. 

We now have a new one. Much more enviro friendly. 

But not this enviro friendly...


Pic from ehoyer's photo stream on Flickr


...and thanks. I feel better.

1 comment:

blackie said...

glad you're feeling better. Writing is definately therapy. I forget it sometimes too. Mind you I don't think I had the oodles of time I had as a teenager to write and write in diaries. The blog does the trick instead.

We're in a similar situation re overseas fam, my partner's a UK lad orignially. Can't wait for Christmas when his brother's coming over to meet our little lady for the first time.