Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sun. I need you.


Pin-up by Vargas

It's not a dodgy thyroid.

It's not diabetes.
It's not early menopause.

It's a frickin' vitamin D deficiency!
Blood tests confirm I don't get out enough.


'Slip. Slop. Slap.' was drummed into my skull at the local Life Saving Club as a kid and I remember the ads playing every summer. Since the campaign was released in 1981 the incidences of the two most common skin cancers have dropped but the incidences of the more deadly melanoma have actually increased. The jury is still out on wether low serum levels of vitamin D are linked to the susceptibility and proliferation of melanoma cells. 

So I'm going to take my chances nakedly, 10 mins, 6 x per week. Doctor's orders. The rest of the time I will stay 'sun smart'.

1 comment:

blackie said...

I can believe it! Apparantley this is such a pervasive problem in Tasmania that in schools the kids are instructed to play outside WITHOUT their hats to get some vitamin D!