Thursday, January 15, 2009

Ms February.




Yesterday the only useful things I could do were to wash dishes, make tea and tidy.

My friend had returned from a painful journey to Africa to find her freezer door ajar, a putrid stench in the air, spoiled food and a maggot-ridden mouse in the middle of the kitchen floor.

Thanks Universe, for that nice little toxic red cherry on the cake...

Three of us sat in the lounge room after everyone had left and the kids were tucked up in bed.

My friend unpacked three suitcases of her Mother's personal effects. Photos. Legal documents. Clothing. Perfume. Jewellery. Her eye glasses, folded neatly in a hard case never to be worn again. 

Her mother had the page of a newspaper from 1963 tucked into her diary. It had a picture of a young woman holding a bouquet with the caption, 'Miss February' then, "BEAUTIFUL! MY GOD!" in Swahili. The woman in the picture was my friends mother, her whole life ahead of her.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

well i simply cant stop looking at it.



twimbee

home girl said...

wow how horrible. coming home to such yuckiness must have been the last straw. i'm glad u were there for your friend. i imagine losing my parents will unbearable - not looking forward to that one day in the future. btw have been missing your blog so i've tagged you xxx

shula said...

A maggot-ridden mouse...

Somehow, I read a maggot-ridden HOUSE.

So, y'know, could be worse.

And I'll stop being glib, right about.....now.

You've been at the coal face a lot lately, haven't you?

The word verification reads 'rescu'

Claire (ethel loves fred) said...

Best thing to do, clean and tidy - that was my Gran's recipe on how to cope with anything major - and it works for me. Gives you the time and space to reflect, plus to 'feel' useful, even though inside you may feel quite useless. I'm rambling now. Any way, chin up old girl!

home girl said...

woo hoo silver bee we miss youu. thanks for commentry over my way. love the orange vomit esp. hope u are enjoying the hols and getting ready for big school year (hope thats right seem to remember you mentioning that but i could b mixed up?) can't believe how hot the week ahead is threatening to be. prob bump into you at a nearby pool or shopping mall in a heatstroke daze xxx

Leigh said...

I'm so sorry for your friend.