Saturday, August 9, 2008

Low-five.


Thanks zarprey

I grew up with a mum who didn't hate.

"Excuse me young-lady, we don't hate, we dislike".

Gosh! The times I've heard this. 'Hate' was a curse-word in our house. Sure I pulled it out when I was a teen for shock value but I still don't like to use the word on a daily basis and I swear like a fishwife.

In the past two days Bubble and Squeak have both told me they hate me. The first was because I refused to allow Bubble to take a new toy to kinda, the second was because I put cereal in Squeaks bowl 'the wrong way'.

Have we entered some new stage comparable to the Terrible-Twos?

The Foul-Fives perhaps?

hate to admit it but I'm beginning to sound like Mum...

3 comments:

Claire (ethel loves fred) said...

OMG - I don't like using the 'H' word, and my little girl says to kids who do 'that's not a very nice word to say' and they look at her all perplexed like!! I'm not at all a prude, and have sworn like a trooper in front of her (not often, but you know the odd needle half piercing my nail makes me swear). Just something about that word!

Kirti said...

It makes me realise how much our kids are going to hear and repeat and for a long time not really have a concept of what they are actually saying. Sometimes I'm quite mortified eg first time Beau said 'We're really mean boys, we kill people' but I also realise he has no idea what that involves. I think about how much we adults say that we don't really mean too, exaggerating or being sarcastic....having a kid sure makes you aware of what you say doesn't it! F*** yeah!

blackie said...

I find myself saying I hate something all the time and I cringe inside. It's such a strong word, it is like a curse word I reckon. Your mother was wise so not such a bad thing if you're taking after her.

My brother went through a stage of calling my mum and I hos. He was about 12 or 13, so the worst may be yet to come! Mind you he listened to an awful lot of rap music, that might have had something to do with it.