Sunday, June 29, 2008

Mix and Match.




When I was young I looked at my parents as all-knowing gods. Having little people of my own makes me realise how young they were and how much they didn't know.

I don't want to be a know-it-all (imagined or otherwise). I admit to my children that I don't know all the answers. I have certainly learnt more about myself from them than from any introspection, teacher, book or guru.

Parenting may be a strange 'mix and match' of knowledge and intuition and things may not always be perfect but honesty seems to be working right now so I think we'll stick with it.

2 comments:

shula said...

Right on.

I also learnt the value of answering precisely what they were asking, and no more. I find they needed time to digest the answer, and when they were ready, to ask the next question.

Especially useful in time of Really Dicky Questions.

But always the truth, to the best of my ability. Always.

Kirti said...

AMEN sista